How Nonprofits Can Take Advantage of the $10,000 Google Ads Grantby Gina Patterson
Google Ads is a great way to increase awareness, website traffic, conversions and more. The platform allows advertisers to reach their target audiences in a variety of ways. However, based on the frequency of your keywords and competition, Google Ads can be expensive.
So what if you are a nonprofit with a limited marketing and advertising budget? Meet the Google Ads Grant.
The Google Ads Grant provides $10,000 per month for qualified nonprofits to use on the Google Search network. Sound like a program your nonprofit could use? Read on to find out how you can qualify with Google.
It’s important to note that there are some organizations that are not eligible for the Google Ads Grant. This includes:
- Government entities and organizations
- Hospitals and medical groups
- Academic institutions and universities
Getting Started with the Google Ads Grant
- Apply for a Google for Nonprofits account.
- Hold a valid charity status in your country.
- Acknowledge and agree to Google’s required certifications. This includes policies about nondiscrimination, donation receipts, and Google Ads use.
- Have a live website with substantial and relevant content.
Once you have qualified for the Google Ads Grant, you’ll build your Search ads following best practices. Be sure to also follow the additional guidelines the Google Ads Grant has provided or your ads may not qualify. Starting out and worried about being able to follow all of the requirements? Try Google Ads Express. Google Ads Express will automatically structure your account.
As with other Google Ads, ongoing monitoring and optimization is essential. Google Ads is not a ‘set-it and forget-it’ platform, and this is even more important with the grant.
Maintaining the Google Ads Grant
To keep the Google Ads Grant, you have to maintain certain performance standards. Based on the most recent update in 2018, according to Google:
- Ensure geo-targeting is active in locations where your target audience is
- Have at least 2 active ad groups per campaign with related keywords
- Do not use one-word keywords
- Use keyword phrases
- Have at least 2 active, unique text ads
- Have at least 2 unique site link extensions
- Maintain a 5% Click-Through-Rate (CTR) each month at the account level
- If this isn’t met for 2 consecutive months, the account will be temporarily deactivated.
- This is why monitoring and optimizing is so important
- Proper conversion tracking set up
Consider the value the Google Ads Grant could have for your non-profit organization: $120,000 in targeted digital advertising dollars each year can go a long way!
If you are a non-profit organization that needs help getting started with Google Ads, Meld Marketing can help! We can get you set up and manage your ongoing Google Ads efforts. Or we can help you get started, provide training and coaching, and then let you take it from there. Just drop us a line!